Best ME Casino Sites & Apps
2 Million Gold Coins & 2 SweepStakes Coins
✅ America's #1 online casino experience
8500 Wow Coins & 4.5 Sweepstakes Coins
✅ Vegas Style Table Games
5000 Gold Coins & 2 Sweepstakes Coins
✅ 500+ Vegas Casino-Style Games
Welcome to your ultimate guide for Maine online casinos! In this article, we’ll explore the world of virtual casino gaming in the Pine Tree State, including the laws and regulations, top platforms, latest news updates, and more. By the time we’re finished, you’ll be ready to play your favorite slots and table games with confidence and experience the best that the state of Maine has to offer when it comes to online and in-person casino play. Now, let’s dive right in!
Are Online Casinos Legal in Maine?
As of July 2023, online casino gambling is not yet legal in Maine. There are no online casinos or virtual poker sites that are authorized to offer real-money wagering in the state, and these types of platforms are currently only legal and regulated in seven U.S. states: Connecticut, Delaware, Michigan, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and West Virginia.
The only legal way to gamble on casino games in the state of Maine is by visiting one of the state’s two state-licensed commercial casinos: Hollywood Casino Bangor and Oxford Casino Hotel. These gaming facilities are regulated by the Maine Gambling Control Board and authorized to offer 3,000 slot machines in the state and table games like blackjack, roulette, craps, and baccarat.
In addition, social casinos and sweepstakes casinos are completely legal in Maine. These innovative platforms have become very popular in the United States in recent years, offer a wide range of casino-style games, are completely free to play, and give players a chance to win real cash prizes. We will cover social and sweepstakes casinos in greater detail in the next section.
What Are the Different Types of Maine Casinos?
To help simplify things, we have divided Maine casinos into three distinct categories: real-money online casinos, social and sweepstakes casinos, and land-based casinos. Each option offers a unique gaming experience and is discussed in further detail below!
Real-Money Online Casinos
Real-money online casinos are internet-based gambling platforms that allow players to wager and win real money. These casinos operate similarly to traditional brick-and-mortar casinos, but they provide the convenience of being able to access and play a wide range of casino games while on the go or from the comfort of one’s home.
Winnings from real-money online casinos can be withdrawn as actual cash, offering players the opportunity to experience the excitement and thrill of gambling on their mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. Caesars Casino, Golden Nugget Casino, and Unibet Casino are a few of the top U.S. real-money online casinos and offer a top-tier gaming experience to customers in eligible states.
Unfortunately, real-money online casinos are not yet legal in Maine. However, they are available in two other New England states: Connecticut and Rhode Island. As a result, Maine residents can always take a trip south to either state in order to gain access to these types of platforms. In addition, as the online gambling landscape evolves, it’s very possible that Maine will consider legalizing real-money online casinos in the not-so-distant future.
Social casinos, also commonly referred to as sweepstakes casinos, are similar to real-money online casinos in that they both offer a variety of slots, table games, and live dealer games that can be accessed from anywhere with a secure Internet connection. However, unlike real-money online casinos, social casinos do not offer real-money wagering, and players will not be able to make deposits or withdrawals on the platform.
Instead, social casinos operate using virtual currencies, such as Gold Coins or Sweeps Coins, that can be earned for free through sign-bonuses, daily login rewards, mail-in entries, and other similar opportunities. These innovative platforms typically use sweepstakes-style promotions that allow players to redeem their virtual casino winnings for cash, digital gift cards, merchandise, and other incredible prizes.
As a result, social casinos and sweepstakes casinos are completely legal in Maine and provide an entertaining, risk-free, and potentially profitable gaming experience to all participants.
Land-based casinos are physical establishments that offer a wide array of gambling activities, including slot machines, table games, poker, and more. Unlike online casinos, land-based casinos provide an immersive and social gaming experience where players can interact with dealers and other gamblers.
These casinos are typically equipped with various amenities such as restaurants, bars, entertainment venues, and hotels, creating a complete entertainment package for visitors. The atmosphere in land-based casinos is vibrant and energetic, with the sights and sounds of the casino floor adding to the excitement.
As previously mentioned, Maine is currently home to two land-based casinos: Hollywood Casino Bangor and Oxford Casino Hotel. Both of these gaming facilities are currently licensed and regulated by the Maine Gambling Control Unit, ensuring that they operate within the state’s legal framework and provide a safe and fair gaming environment for patrons.
There are many high-quality social casinos and sweepstakes casinos currently available in the state of Maine. Here are a few of the top platforms to consider joining today:
- Available States: 48 of 50 U.S. States (all but ID & WA)
Chumba Casino is one of America’s fastest-growing sweepstakes casinos and is owned by Virtual Gaming Worlds, a leading developer of social casino games who is also responsible for LuckyLand Slots and Global Poker. Players will have access to well over 100 casino-style games, including a wide range of slots, progressive jackpots, table games, and Slingo games. Chumba Casino also offers excellent customer support, ensuring all questions are answered in a timely manner.
- Available States: 48 of 50 U.S. States (all but ID & WA)
Fortune Coins, another popular social gaming site in the United States, is owned by Blazesoft Ltd. and partnered with one of the leading Canadian gaming providers (Let Us Entertain You Inc.) to offer an online casino experience like no other. The platform provides users with over 150 games, including virtual slots with many different themes, bonus features, and gameplay mechanics. Fortune Coins also offers new players one of the best sign-up bonuses in the industry.
- Available States: 47 of 50 U.S. States (all but ID, NV, & WA)
Pulsz Casino, not to be confused with Pulsz Bingo, first launched in 2020 and has established itself as one of the world’s top sweepstakes casino platforms. Players will enjoy more than 500 Vegas-style casino games, including arguably the best selection of online slots offered by a social casino. In addition, Pulsz Casino has a fantastic mobile app that is well known for its high-quality graphics and smooth gameplay.
- Available States: 47 of 50 U.S. States (all but ID, NV, & WA)
Last but not least, WOW Vegas is a popular social gaming platform that deserves your consideration. WOW Vegas provides users with over 300 casino games from three of the top software providers and developers in the industry: 3 Oaks, Betsoft, and Pragmatic Play. Players will also enjoy frequent bonuses and promotional offers that are designed to add to the excitement and enhance the overall gaming experience.
Time needed: 5 minutes.
Are you ready to sign up and start playing all your favorite casino games for a chance to win real cash prizes? Just follow the five simple steps outlined below!
- Choose Your Social Casino or Sweepstakes Casino
The first step is to select a social casino or sweepstakes casino platform that is currently available in Maine. Consider factors like game selection, welcome offer, customer service, and reputation when making your decision. We highly recommend Chumba Casino, Fortune Coins, Pulsz Casino, and WOW Vegas.
- Register for an Account
Once you’ve chosen your preferred social or sweepstakes casino, you’ll need to register for an account. This typically involves providing some personal information, such as your name, email address, and date of birth. The registration process may also require you to create a username and password to secure your account. Visit your casino’s website or download its mobile app and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the registration process.
- Complete the Verification Process
After registering, you may need to complete a verification process to confirm your identity and age. This step is necessary to ensure that you are eligible to participate in the casino’s games and promotions. Verification may involve submitting identification documents, such as a driver’s license or passport.
- Claim Your Sign-Up Bonus
All Maine social casinos and sweepstakes casinos offer sign-up bonuses as an incentive for new players. Once your account is created and verified, you will automatically receive your reward. This bonus usually provides you with additional virtual currency or sweepstakes entries to start playing games without spending real money.
- Start Playing Games & Winning Prizes
With your account set up and the sign-up bonus claimed, you can now start playing the casino’s games. These games typically include slots, table games, poker, and more. Choose your preferred options and play for a chance to win cash, digital gift cards, and other real prizes. Good luck!
Can I Use Offshore Casinos in Maine?
You will likely come across some websites that claim to offer legal online casino gambling to Maine residents. However, these gambling platforms, commonly known as “offshore casinos,” are not authorized to operate in Maine or offer real-money wagering on casino games to residents of the state.
The use of offshore casinos comes with many serious risks, a few of which are listed and explained below.
- Financial Insecurity: Depositing funds into offshore casino accounts may involve international transactions, which can be susceptible to delays and complications. Additionally, since these casinos are not subject to Maine’s gambling laws, there is a higher likelihood of encountering issues with withdrawals, delayed payouts, or even total loss of funds.
- Limited Player Protections: Maine’s licensed casinos are bound by strict guidelines to ensure fair play and player protection. However, offshore casinos may not have the same level of transparency, making it challenging to verify the integrity of their games and random number generators (RNGs). As a result, you could face unfair odds, increasing the likelihood of losing money.
- Potential Legal Consequences: Participating in offshore online gambling could potentially lead to legal troubles. While Maine’s laws primarily target operators, players engaging in illegal online gambling might face consequences, ranging from fines to criminal charges.
- Cybersecurity Threats: Offshore casinos may not prioritize robust cybersecurity measures, making their platforms vulnerable to hacking and data breaches. This puts your personal and financial information at risk, potentially leading to identity theft and other cybercrimes.
- Lack of Responsible Gambling Measures: Licensed and authorized casinos typically have responsible gambling programs in place, offering resources and assistance to those experiencing gambling-related issues. Offshore casinos may not have such support, potentially exacerbating gambling problems.
As a result, we strongly encourage you to avoid offshore casinos and instead consider using social casinos and sweepstakes casinos, which are completely legal in Maine and give you a chance to win real cash prizes without risking a dime.
Other Legal Forms of Gambling in Maine
In addition to the games offered at Maine’s two state-licensed commercial casinos, there are several other legal forms of gambling in the Pine Tree State. Here are a few of the other options currently available:
Sports betting was officially legalized in Maine in May 2022 when Governor Janet Mills signed LD 585 into law. Although the rollout has been somewhat sluggish thus far, sports betting is expected to launch in Maine in November 2023.
Caesars Sportsbook has already announced its exclusive partnership with three of the state’s federally recognized Native American tribes and will soon offer mobile sports betting to anyone in Maine who is 21 years or older. In addition, retail sportsbooks are expected to launch at the state’s two licensed casinos (Hollywood Casino Bangor and Oxford Casino Hotel) and several other locations across the state.
Pari-mutuel wagering on horse racing is also legal in Maine. Bets can be placed by anyone 18 years or older at Bangor Raceway or at any of the state’s licensed off-track betting (OTB) facilities that offer simulcast wagering on races taking place in other U.S. states and other countries around the world. In addition, wagers can be made online in Maine via Hollywood Races, the state’s only licensed horse racing betting site.
Daily Fantasy Sports
Maine officially legalized daily fantasy sports (DFS) in 2017 when Governor Paul LePage signed LD 1321 into law. With the passage of this legislation, Maine joined several other states in acknowledging the popularity of daily fantasy sports and recognizing it as a game of skill rather than a game of chance, differentiating it from traditional forms of gambling.
DraftKings, FanDuel, Underdog Fantasy, and all other DFS platforms that are licensed by the Maine Gambling Control Unit are currently authorized to offer a wide range of paid contests to anyone in the state who is 18 years or older.
The Maine Lottery is a state-run lottery system that offers various games of chance to the public. It was established to generate revenue for the state while providing entertainment opportunities for residents. Some of the popular games offered by the Maine Lottery include scratch-off tickets, draw games like Powerball and Mega Millions, Pick 3, Pick 4, and various instant win games.
Players can purchase lottery tickets from authorized retailers throughout the state. The proceeds from lottery sales contribute to funding education, conservation efforts, and other programs that benefit the community.
Charitable gaming, which refers to gambling activities conducted by nonprofit organizations for fundraising purposes, is also legal in Maine. These activities are strictly regulated, and organizations must obtain a license from the Maine Department of Public Safety Gambling Control Unit to conduct charitable gaming events. The types of charitable gaming allowed in Maine include bingo, beano, raffles, and other various games of chance.
While success during online or in-person casino play is largely determined by random chance, there are plenty of ways to increase your chances of coming out on top. Provided below are a few of the best tips and tricks for Maine casino players!
- Set a Budget: One of the most important strategies for successful gambling is setting a budget before you start playing. Determine how much money you are willing to spend on your casino activities and stick to that amount. Avoid the temptation to chase losses or increase your bets beyond your predetermined budget. Setting a budget will help you manage your bankroll more effectively and ensure that your gambling remains enjoyable and within your means.
- Know The Games: Understanding the rules and strategies of the casino games you’re playing can significantly improve your chances of success. Take the time to learn the ins and outs of games like blackjack, poker, or roulette. Many online casinos offer free play options that allow you to practice and gain confidence before playing with real money. Knowing the odds and betting strategies for each game can give you an edge and increase your potential for winning.
- Play Games With a Lower House Edge: Casino games have a built-in advantage for the house, known as the “house edge.” Games with lower house edges offer better odds for players. Consider playing games like blackjack, baccarat, or certain video poker variations that tend to have lower house edges. These games provide you with a better chance of winning over the long run compared to games with higher house edges, such as some slot machines.
- Stay Calm & Composed: Emotions can influence decision-making, especially when it comes to gambling. Maintain a calm and composed demeanor, even in moments of excitement or disappointment. Avoid making impulsive bets based on emotions, and stick to your betting strategies.
- Network With Other Players: Engage with other players at the casino. Networking can provide valuable insights, tips, and information about various games, promotions, and strategies that you might not be aware of.
- Play Progressive Jackpot Slots Wisely: Progressive jackpot slots offer the chance to win massive prizes, but they also come with higher volatility. Set a budget specifically for progressive slots and know when to switch to other games if luck isn’t on your side.
Maine Online Casino FAQ
Are Online Casinos Legal in Maine?
No, online casino gambling is not yet legal in Maine. Online casinos and virtual poker sites that offer real-money wagering are not currently allowed to accept players from the Pine Tree State.
How Can I Play Casino Games in Maine?
In-person casino gambling (slot machines, table games, etc.) is available at Maine’s two state-licensed commercial casinos: Hollywood Casino Bangor and Oxford Casino Hotel. In addition, casino games can be played online in Maine by signing up with social casinos and sweepstakes casinos like Chumba Casino, Fortune Coins, Pulsz Casino, and WOW Vegas.
Are Social Casinos Legal in Maine?
Yes, social casinos are completely legal in the state of Maine. These innovative, free-to-play platforms are a fantastic alternative to real-money online casinos, which are not yet legal in the Pine Tree State.
Does Maine Have Any Land-Based Casinos?
Yes, Maine currently has two land-based casinos: Hollywood Casino Bangor and Oxford Casino Hotel. These commercial casinos are allowed to offer slot machines and table games like blackjack, roulette, craps, and poker.
What Is the Legal Age for Casinos in Maine?
Maine’s land-based commercial casinos require visitors to be at least 21 years or older to participate in any gambling activities. Meanwhile, social casinos and sweepstakes casinos typically only require players to be at least 18 years of age.